A few years later, the building was moved and enlarged. The current house of worship was constructed in 1914. A Christian day school was added and begun in 1896, operating until 1956.
In 1939, the large white rock cross was constructed on the hill behind the church. This cross is illuminated at night and has for many years been regarded as a landmark in the area. Seating has been carved into the hillside in the arms of the cross, and this is where annual Easter sunrise services are held.
Immanuel has been a “mother church”, spreading Lutheranism to several other area towns over the past century. Lutheran churches in the cities of Copperas Cove, Killeen, Lampasas, Temple, and Gatesville were brought into being by members of Immanuel.
Due to the fact that the early members were of Wendish or German descent, the German language was used extensively, gradually giving way to English over the years. Even though services are now in English, Immanuel still holds a German Christmas service, or Adventsgottesdienst, every December.
In the year 1891, the first pioneer Lutheran families settled the area northwest of Copperas Cove, Texas, then a small town on the Santa Fe railroad built in 1882.
These settlers of German and Wendish descent farmed and ranched the area surrounding the present church site, and began having public worship services in homes. They officially formed Immanuel Lutheran Church and erected the first church building on land donated by church members in 1895. A cemetery was begun on the property as well, with the first interment in 1895. Click here for more information.